I believe that xorg.conf is still the place to override the 'handy'
auto-configuration nonsense. It worked for me in the Hardy Alphas anyways.
So far I haven't been terribly impressed with the auto-configuration
features that were added. They give you a working display (most of the
time), but it doesn't seem to use optimal settings all the time. For
example, the gnome utility doesn't think my display at home is capable of
any more than 1024x768.

-Tom