On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 06:06:30PM -0500, Cyprian Troyer wrote:
[snip]
> issues, doing a standard windoze 2000 pro install, or a Slackware12.0
> install, with LILO installed to the MBR.

Slackware still uses LILO?  Does it give the option to use Grub?

>                                          Either one works separately,
> but when I install Slackware after windoze, LILO gives a disk read
> error. (LILO posts the L followed by a screenful of 01's) I've tried
> making the install to different partitions, but that doesn't seem to
> help. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a 'boot' partition for LILO
> to live in.

You shouldn't need that, unless your BIOS considers your Linux
partition to be beyond the 1024th cylinder.  IIRC Grub does not have
this limitation.

>             I'd rather not do that, as that would only leave me with two
> partitions for my Linux system. One for  'boot', one for windoze , one
> for / , one for swap, and that leaves nothing for /usr/local or /home.
> Or is there something about the 4 partition limit to fdisk that I'm
> missing?

There is no 4 partitions limit - a PC hard drive can have up to 15
partitions.  There is a limit of 4 _primary_ partitions, but one of
those can be an 'extended' partition, containing 11 (or 12) _logical_
partitions.  Windows insists being installed in a primary partition,
Linux does not care.

Boot from the slack CD and switch it to 'rescue' or 'maintenance' mode
instead of the 'install' mode.  Then run the following command
   dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M count=1
[If it complains about hda being read-only, substitute sda for hda and
try again].  This will clear out the partition table.

Next, install Windows and during installation create the first
partition, which will contain Windows.

After that, boot with the slackware disk.  When you create the first
two partitions (swap and /) use primary disks.  Then, create the
others as logical disks.  [c]fdisk will implicitly create the extended
partition and place all the logical disks in there.  Then, proceed
with the installation.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163