On Tuesday 25 March 2008 11:33:04 pm Eric Peterson wrote:
> Has anyone played around with the various cluster filesystems such as
> GFS, Luster, OCFS2? Any thoughts on stability, quality, etc.?

We are currently using OCFS2 for our clustered Ruby on Rails hosting.  We have
had very good stability with it so far.

You need to be really carefull about making sure that your OCFS2 ethernet
heartbeats are reliable.  Meaning if you unplug the ethernet that OCFS2 is
using to synchronize with the other cluster members OCFS2 will fence that
machine using a kernel panic.  Good for data integrity, bad for availability.

Speed has been very good, from our testing OCFS2 was the fastest of the
clustered filesystems.  It uses extensive client side caching to speed up
disk access.  Because of this I would recommend putting as much memory as
possible into the severs you are going to use in the cluster.

The setup and configuration of OCFS2 is very easy.  There is a nice GUI tool
for management, but managing clusters with just the command line is not hard
at all.

One thing to keep in mind with OCFS2 is that the protocol is strict version
dependant.  If you install Ubuntu 6.06 with OCFS2 on one server, all the
servers that are members of that OCFS2 cluster have to be Ubuntu 6.06.

That is all I have for right now.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Bret.
--
Bret Baptist
Senior Network Administrator
bbaptist at iexposure.com
Internet Exposure, Inc.
http://www.iexposure.com
(612)676-1946 x17

Providing Internet Services since 1995
Web Development ~ Search Engine Marketing ~ Web Analytics
Network Security ~ On Demand Tech Support ~ E-Mail Marketing