I'm trying to set up two servers in which one is active and the other is
a standby.  The plan is to use DRBD and heartbeat to managed the data
replication and services.  Each server is running Ubuntu 7.10 Server
64-bit.  I've got two NICs in each box: public and private.  Both
machines are configured with static IPs and are connected via a
crossover cable on eth0 (private and the primary NIC) and then eth1
(public) on both ties into my main switch.  eth0 and eth1 are different
subnets.  Since eth0 is used to talk to the other server only, it has no
gateway.

The problem is eth1 for some reason is whack on both machines.  I can't
ping my public gateway or the other server over its public interface.

I tried reversing the roles, eth0 as public, eth1 as private.  I could
see the public network (eth0) just fine, but I couldn't see the other
machine over the private (eth1) network.

I've tried different cables and network cards.  I've tried messing
around with routes and the arp tables.  I've tried reinstalling the OS.
These servers have fresh installs of Ubuntu, so there's nothing in the
IP tables.

What gets more interesting is I completely comment out all eth0 lines
from the /etc/network/interfaces config file, then restart networking so
only eth1 (public) exists, and I can't see anything.  It's the strangest
thing.

Does Ubuntu/Debian identify one of the cards as the "primary"
somewhere?  How/where does it tie a particular NIC to ethX?  Does
anybody have any suggestions that I could try?

I appreciate any help.  Thanks!

-Chris