On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:01:01AM -0500, Scott Raun wrote:
> As of three days ago, my ISP (InfinityAccessnet, AKA IAXS) has been
> acquired - lock, stock, and barrel - by Visi. The announcement letter
> says the complete physical plant and all employees are now with Visi.
>
> I wish I'd known this was coming - we just paid for a year of service
> (pay by the year gets one month free), so we're kind of locked in
> through the end of either March 2008. I could probably cancel service
> and get a pro-rated refund, but that's a hassle I'm not willing to go
> through quite yet.
>
> I get bandwidth, one static IP, and DNS from IAXS. They've got no
> problems with me running a server that's providing mail, ssh & http
> services. I haven't had <b>any</b> problems with my connectivity since
> we cleared up the local DSL termination (which was a QWest problem)
> within a year of moving into the house. That means I haven't had to
> touch anything ISP-related for, nearly ten years? Admittedly, I've
> been getting 256k up/down - QWest is, as I understand it, provisioning
> 640k up/down, but IAXS could limit to 256k. Our cost to QWest is
> $28/month, to IAXS is $275/year.
>
> I know Visi was the ISP of choice among my friends for several years,
> but that was some time ago. What's their current reputation? Who's
> currently got the best reputation? Anyone with a better reputation
> than Visi have a plan that would give me more bang for my buck? I know
> that if I go to QWest I'll have to get business class for the static
> IP, and while that's not a non-starter, it's pretty close.

I'm using Visi for more than five years with no problems whatsoever.

The static IP is included in their connectivity package, and I only
had to send an e-mail to the tech support asking them to set up
reverse DNS for my domain.  I don't remember more than two-three hours
of downtime (total) during this period.  I do host my e-mail and web
server - there was no adverse provision in the contract and I never
heard anything from them on the matter, either.

I strongly recommend them.  I only wish more businesses were run like
that and would treat customers like that.

florin

PS: I don't have any financial affiliation with Visi (other that the
twice-yearly payment for Internet connectivity) and I don't personally
know anybody there, either.

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163