Terry,

I have had two Dell Inspiron 1420s with Ubuntu 7.10 pre-installed. I was
happy with both machines, but here's what I recommend should you decide
to go this route:

-Get at least 2 GB of RAM. CPU speed probably isn't important for most
users so there's an opportunity to save a lot of money.
-Get the 9-cell battery.
-Don't get the Blue-ray DVD option. For whatever reason, some of the
live CD kernels don't like it.
-Throw away the Ubuntu install disk sent with the laptop. Neither disk
sent with each of my two laptops worked for me. In each case, I
re-installed from downloaded ISOs with no problem.
-If you love Gnome, fine. If you like KDE, don't bother to upgrade from
Gnome to KDE (Kubuntu) on the Inspiron; both times I ended up with ugly
fonts, clunky icons, sort of a mess. Just re-install from your Gutsy ISO
and go directly to Kubuntu. The default desktop setup (fonts, icons,
screen resolution) looks great.
-Get an Nvidia video card and use the free proprietary drivers. It's
worth the expense. Get the glossy high-def screen option to take
advantage of it.
-Don't upgrade network card management with Synaptic or Adept. Your
network services will re-set in the middle of downloading and installing
packages, leaving you with broken packages and a serious desire to
reboot.

That's about it. Good luck with your new laptop.

JR