On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:42:32 -0500
"Justin Krejci" <jus at krytosvirus.com> wrote:

> Cisco 678 is EOS'ed and maybe EOL'ed by Cisco but they are rock solid
> reliable in my experience, and still generally available.

I had two 678s and had trouble with both. About once a week,
especially during a thunderstorm, they'd hang, requiring
a reboot, or losing existing TCP connections.

> The first one or two lines of Actiontec's that Qwest used were really
> crappy, a simple port scan would from the internet could lock them up. The
> latest line they are on now seem to be very reliable.

I've used Actiontecs recently, and avoided the issue I had with
the Cisco, though it still loses existing connections on
occasion.

I don't know why Qwest said the grandmother must provide
her own modem - they rent them...

John Gateley <tclug at jfoo.org>