Core 5?  That's pretty old.  How many floppy disks does that require?  ;-)

If you don't think you can run the newest versions or don't want to
upgrade then try the lsmod test. If you're not sure if your laptop can
handle it Knoppix would make a good test. Otherwise definitely upgrade to
Core 9.

If you aren't able to download and burn the disks there are people here
who could do it for you. I'll do it if Qwest comes through with my new
3-7Mbps connection.

-Brady