On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 04:00:20PM -0600, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> I've decided to use part of my tax return to upgrade my ancient
> desktop.  I started researching, but realized that I haven't been
> paying attention to the hardware market for quite a while and I'm
> lost.
>
> My current machine;
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
> stepping        : 6
> cpu MHz         : 930.242
> cache size      : 256 KB
> bogomips        : 1862.02
>
> with 512M of RAM in two DIMMs of unknown type, and a 3dfx Voodoo video card
>
> I also have a P4 machine with a bad MB, slot type unknown.
>
> My plan is to buy a MB/CPU and a modern OpenGL compatible video card.
> I'll reuse my current memory and HDs using the P4's case and PS.

Mark,

Unfortunately you are trying to jump several generations at once, and
that won't work.

The memory from your PIII is PC100/133.  All the current mainstream
motherboards use DDR2.  Also, it is quite possible that your power
supply won't be able to support a modern CPU and fast video card.

> I've got a budget of about $200.

What would I do with $200:

   M/B    ASUS M2A-VM               $70  (has built-in VGA)
   RAM    Whatever 2x1GB            $50
   CPU    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+    $60

For $10 extra you can bump the CPU to 4400+.  Save $10 for shipping ;)
The motherboard has built-in VGA and DVI - check it out, it might be
fast enough for what you need.

> The machine is a basic desktop, running KDE.  The processor-intensive
> task that I do most often is video re-encoding and very basic video
> editing.
>
> I have a 19" CRT that I may decide to use, so a video card capable of
> higher resolutions is desired.

You'll be hard pressed to buy a video card that won't drive a 19" CRT.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163