I've had a Cingular / ATT 3g Card for a couple of years now.. It depends SO
MUCH on your physical location. Only recently has it started to consistently
connect to a "3G" source here in Edina, MN.  (I assume they have a fallback
to GPRS only when not near a 3g source). You might want to check with a
local LUG. My company has contractors in Texas and AZ and there the Verizon
cards are WAY faster than Cingular cards.  I have an Option GT MAX Qualcom
3g CDMA for the record.
Right now my laptop runs Vista. ( I know, but all my servers and my desktop
run RHEL or Fedora) so I couldn't tell you about compat. issues. When not in
3g mode it is nearly unusable for my email (Scalix) or even ssh.. I thought
i'd be able to use it to work well at Detroit Lakes this summer, but no such
luck. (ended up leaching a neighbors unsecured WiFi.)

YMMV
Christopher Smith
Sysadmin.. Linux User since 1997.