On 1/16/08, Harv Nelson <ai9nl at arrl.net> wrote:
> I'm out in nevada/arizona camping on the dessert ... I'm sick of
> chasing back to town to go to the library to do email.  do any of you
> have experience with an air card from either ATT, or Sprint?, or
> whatever company? so far I'm finding that many of the USB units they
> want to sell me won't work with our system only bill's stuff or MAC.
> any pointers, suggestions or tips are welcome.

I've tried cards from Alltel, Sprint and Verizon. The Sprint card
(AirCard(R) 595U by Sierra Wireless) was pretty much plug and play on
Ubuntu Dapper D.

The Alltel card was difficult to get working and actually relied on
performing 'echo > /dev/ttyUSB0' prioring to initializing pppd to get
it to work.

I still haven't tried the Verizon card in Linux, but the download
rates were awesome and worked in some very remote locations were I
thought I would be in a dead zone.

Eric