> I was wondering what the actual command was to get a report of the
> modification time of the newest file in a directory tree.
>
> I assume that it is super fast compared with the "find" methods we had
> been working on.

inotify only receives current events.  To find the newest file in an
existing tree you would need to use find (or similar).  With inotify
you can watch a tree for changes.  I haven't used the inotify-tools
package so I have no idea what command you would need to use.  If you
are monitoring a file system, inotify will be worlds faster than a
find approach.

leif