On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Chad Walstrom wrote:

> softRAID is a viable solution, so don't discount it until you've seen
> how your system performs with it.  If you have a sufficiently quick
> machine with good I/O and plenty of RAM, your overhead for softRAID
> might not even be noticed.  What I suggest is to watch the performance
> of your server resources for a while.  If you find that your CPU gets
> pegged while pushing data to disk (writes), you might want to upgrade to
> hardware raid.  (Cacti and Munin make some nice graphs for these
> things.)

We have a quadcore CPU and we aren't doing a lot of disk-intensive work
yet, so the effect of the software RAID is not noticeable.

> My favorite SATA RAID controllers are the 3Ware Escalades.  I would stay
> away from Promise controllers if at all possible.  I don't know how the
> Adaptec controllers perform, but in all cases you're going to pay an
> exceptional chunk of change to get hardware RAID.  You'll easily spend
> between $350-800 depending upon the number of drives you wish to
> support.

The two 500 GB disks we are using cost only $250 together.  It sounds like
hardware RAID controllers are very overpriced.  Seriously, with those
prices, if the software RAID was impacting on performance, I might go for
a faster CPU or dual CPU system instead of buying a RAID controller.

> If this is a high-availability server, you may want to invest in the
> "battery" module for the card as well, which keeps your write
> transactions alive in the event of a power failure.  (You might not need
> this if your UPS gives sufficient warning to the system to tell it to
> shut down cleanly.)  That's between $50-200 depending upon the vendor of
> the RAID card.

That is a good reminder.  I want to put a UPS on this system and I haven't
done so yet.

Mike