Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> We got that to work.  I don't know if this is a "pseudo software RAID
> controller" and I don't need to "cheap out" because it isn't my money!
> So should I be buying a hardware RAID controller?  How much will that
> cost me?  What is the benefit of the hardware RAID over softRAID?

softRAID is a viable solution, so don't discount it until you've seen
how your system performs with it.  If you have a sufficiently quick
machine with good I/O and plenty of RAM, your overhead for softRAID
might not even be noticed.  What I suggest is to watch the performance
of your server resources for a while.  If you find that your CPU gets
pegged while pushing data to disk (writes), you might want to upgrade to
hardware raid.  (Cacti and Munin make some nice graphs for these
things.)

My favorite SATA RAID controllers are the 3Ware Escalades.  I would stay
away from Promise controllers if at all possible.  I don't know how the
Adaptec controllers perform, but in all cases you're going to pay an
exceptional chunk of change to get hardware RAID.  You'll easily spend
between $350-800 depending upon the number of drives you wish to
support.  If this is a high-availability server, you may want to invest
in the "battery" module for the card as well, which keeps your write
transactions alive in the event of a power failure.  (You might not need
this if your UPS gives sufficient warning to the system to tell it to
shut down cleanly.)  That's between $50-200 depending upon the vendor of
the RAID card.

Good luck!

Chad