On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Yaron wrote:

> Yeah, I used to use something like that. Then I just decided to use some
> shareware program on a VM that can export to XML and then run my own
> mangling scripts that beat the hell out of it and stick it in a mysql
> database. That way I get every single bit of info I want about the thing
> and I can always modify my program later on.
>
> Mine looks like this: http://yaron.org/dvds/

That is a way-cool approach and much more sophisticated than what I've
done.  To add a new entry to the database, do you just give it a URL to an
IMDb title, or what?  It looks like maybe that is what you did.  The
things that were most important to me were (1) I would do almost no work
to add a new entry to the list and (2) the list is on the web so that
friends can see it.  I don't want to have to type info such as director or
genre, but if I could scrape them out of IMDb, I'd probably want to do it.
I'd also love to have a searchable page like yours.

How do you generate pages on the fly?  PHP?

I will learn more about how to use mysql, etc., over time and may then do
something more interesting.  Right now I'm avoiding the work of learning
all of that but it is on my to-do list.

Thanks for sharing that.  It is nice work.  Once you know how to do that,
there is a lot more that you can easily do.

One thing that it would be nice to add to your pages is an option for
sorting by various fields.  Oh -- you already did it:  I click on the
header and it sorts by that field.  Very nice.  For me, I would also have
"date added" as a sortable field because then people can see which movies
were added recently.

Mike