I'm trying to upgrade my webserver from apache 1.3 to apache 2.2.  It's
running Debian etch and requires php (4 or 5).  I see that since I need
php I need to run the prefork, which should be fine as that's what I run
on my opensuse systems.  So I added the apache2 packages along with the
php5 modules for apache2 and checked that everything worked on port 81.
Then I shutdown apache 1.3 and restart apache2 on port 80.  My load
average went through the roof.  It seems that apache2 was always busy
doing something so it forked off as many processes as I would allow it
and never went down for 3 days.  I switched back to apache 1.3 and my
load average immediately dropped.  I checked the modules and it appears
that I'm running all the equivalent modules.  Does anyone have any ideas
what would cause apache2 to serve up pages so slow?

--
Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital