On Jan 1, 2008 2:30 PM, Benjamin Gramlich <benjamin.gramlich at gmail.com> wrote:
> A lot of desktop bios chips check for video memory/settings during the
> power on self test (POST). It might be that your system just won't boot
> without a video card.

It depends on the motherboard if you get BIOS error beeps or not. I've
run into plenty of motherboards that won't do a thing until a video
card is properly seated. Then they'll start with the error beeps if
there is a different problem. :)

As for the how you would configure it if you don't have a video card,
well most server boards have an integrated video card so that's not an
option. Those that don't have a serial console or network accessible
remote access solution built in. Spend the extra $20 and get a cheap
video card in your server. It will save you time and frustration in
the long run. :)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
IT Outhouse Blog Thing | http://www.itouthouse.com