I dug around and found an old Diamond Stealth 64 (circa 2001).  It booted just
fine.  X won't run, but I don't really need it on that machine.

I'm still curious what hung up.  Since there were no beep codes, and the hard
drive showed a little bit of activity, I'm tempted to think it wasn't bios.

Jeremy