Did the hard drive run long enough for linux to start?  If you've got a
graphical login going, then you might have a problem there.  Otherwise
you should be ok.  One other thing, are you sure the speaker is hooked
up?  I've had that happen before and not noticed the bios beeps.  It's
also possible the bios is picky and won't boot without a video card.