How can I run a box without a video card?  My video card fan fried yesterday.
The card still works, but something makes bad smells when it runs (I think
it's the fan).

I'd buy a new card, but the stores are closed today.  I might try to salvage
or improvise a fan from my pile of parts, but I was hoping I could just run
the box headless.

I tried booting without the card, but I can't ping the box.  There weren't any
beep codes.  The HD light flashed a number of times, but not enough to
indicate a full boot.  I can powerdown with a quick press of the soft power
button, so I'm guessing it's either a bios prompt or something early in the
boot process.  The mobo is a gigabyte ds3r for core2-quad, and doesn't have
onboard video.

What would be stopping the box from coming up?  Is it a bios prompt, or is
Linux expecting something?

Jeremy