On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 17:31 -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why it would be better for this message (for example)
> to be expressed in *both* plain text and HTML formats?  People often do
> that these days but I think it is obviously not good.  If that were to
> become conventional, what an annoyance -- it wastes bandwidth and disk
> space and causes some problems in managing email archives.  To compensate
> for these problems it offers no real advantages.

Heh, well, I'm nominally all for proportional fonts instead of
monospace, except when required.  I mean, we're not talking on teletypes
here.

You used *this* for emphasis, when bold or italic might have been more
obvious.  Yes, mail clients can be set up to automatically embolden or
italicize plaintext when certain patterns are seen, but that often
catches other random strings, especially on a technical list where
people might be discussing globbing or function names.

There's also the ability to embed links rather than typing in a URL and
worrying whether someone's client is going to interpret
[http://somehost.com/] or (http://somehost.com/) in a way that ignores
the trailing ']' or ')' (right now as I type, I see that Evolution has
determined my trailing ')' is part of the URL, and it also shows some
other weirdness).  Then again, every method I've seen for creating URLs
is error-prone in some fashon.

Still, HTML mail has a lot of drawbacks.  While I like proportional
fonts for ease of reading, most mail clients stretch the text all the
way across the viewing pane.  It's not comfortable to read text that's
more than about 100 characters wide, so I don't know why more programs
don't try to squeeze it a bit.  But, I'm sure this can be hinted at
through the use of CSS and other trickery in some clients.

Font size and the overuse of color are also problematic.  No!  Do not
send me your note in tiny 7pt font!  And, gah, wallpaper backgrounds.
Blech.  That's sooo Internet-circa-1994 or MySpace-circa-yesterday
(okay, /maybe/ 2007).

Speaking of MySpace, at least I haven't seen anybody on this list send
base64-encoded UTF-8 HTML mail with the major headers in lowercase
('subject:', 'to:', 'from:' -- yeah, I was wondering why my procmail
rules weren't working...).  That's nasty, Tom.  Just...  Gah.

Some things that have helped me learn how to format things in a nice way
include learning LATeX and the LyX WYSIWYM (what you see is what you
mean) word processor, HTML/CSS, and various wiki syntaxes.  Don't say
"18-point Georgia font, bold" and try to remember that every time.  Say,
"Heading, Level 1" and just give hints on how to display it.
Unfortunately, that's a somewhat foreign concept in the land of MS Word.

The free mail clients I've used include Pine, Mutt, Sylpheed (aw, I miss
X-Face), Netscape, Mozilla, Thunderbird, and Evolution.  The costly
clients I've used have been Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook.  I've
also used Gmail a little, but not extensively.

Notes and Outlook are both at the bottom of the barrel for me, and
they're both very bad at converting messages to plaintext to be sent out
to Internet-standard mail programs.  It's a challenge to see where
replies begin and end, and Outlook has a nasty habit of replacing two
linebreaks with break-space-break-break-space-break.  Wha?  I haven't
seen what new untold horrors Office 2007 will bring upon the world.
Sounds like they're going more document-centric, like what Lotus Notes
was supposed to be.

Well, I've rambled too much.  Suffice to say that I prefer Evolution,
send text mail at home but do HTML mail at work (where I even top-post..
yeargh), and kinda sorta like Gmail's idea of "conversations" where I
can see the messages I wrote in the history.  Maybe I could just set my
client to dump sent mail into my inbox and let the threading do its
magic... Hmmm...

--
Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu>