On Thursday 28 February 2008 08:48:45 am Mike Hicks wrote:
> I want the longer prompt to show up since we use a couple of different
> logins on our various hosts, and I want a hint at which password I
> should be typing in.
>
> Does anyone know how to get these FreeBSD hosts to act like the others?
> Er, well, without going through the process of upgrading lots and lots
> of systems?

"user at host's password:" <- password authentication
"Password:" <- keyboard-interactive authentication

the default preference output (man ssh_config) is:

PreferredAuthentications “gssapi-with-mic, hostbased, publickey,
keyboard-interactive, password”

if you override that (in your ~/.ssh/config) to:

PreferredAuthentications “gssapi-with-mic, hostbased, publickey, password,
keyboard-interactive”

it will prefer the longer over the shorter.

-Dave