Previous reports of Linux imminent death have proven
exaggerated.  For that matter, the same can be said of
Windows.  Eventually, I expect, one of these stopped clocks will
prove accurate.  Here's another.  (Also, my first encounter with the
term "netbook".)

--

WINDOWS 7: THE LINUX KILLER
By Preston Gralla / Computerworld / December 22, 2008

Microsoft is finally taking Linux seriously as a desktop operating
system, and it has designed Windows 7 to kill it

Excerpts:

The threat to Windows comes entirely from "netbooks" -- lightweight,
inexpensive laptops that typically use Intel's low-powered Atom
processor and don't come with substantial amounts of RAM or powerful
graphics processors.  They're designed mainly for browsing the Web,
handling e-mail, writing memos, and taking care of simple
word-processing or spreadsheet chores.

Netbooks will account for about a third of all PC growth this year,
according to Citigroup.  Shipments will rise at an annual average
rate of 60 percent to reach 29 million netbooks in 2010, compared
with 18 percent growth for standard notebooks....

When Windows 7 ships, expect a massive marketing blitz pushing it on
netbooks with special deals, and netbook hardware taking advantage of
Windows 7 capabilities, including touch screens. ...

Despite Microsoft's killer instincts, I don't think Linux netbook
sales will stop dead.  There will always be a niche for them.  But
within a year of the Windows 7 launch, Linux market share will
drop.  The high point for Linux netbook sales will be from now until
the launch of Windows 7. After that will come the inevitable decline.