[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Robert De Mars
> Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:46 PM
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Subject: [tclug-list] Dell Optiplex 745 - Will not reboot
>
> Hello, and a good day to you all.  I have a small problem that I can not
> seem to figure out.
>
> I have just installed Slack 12.1 on a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop.  The
> box is all stock, but with a 4Gig ram upgrade.
>
> I installed Slackware 12.1, and Slack is working properly.  My problem
> is when I tell the machine to reboot (  shutdown -r now   )   it goes
> through the process of shutting down, but gets stuck at "Restarting
> System."
>
> I then have to manually power down the box, and restart it via the power
> button.

I would double check that your kernel has the necessary APM or ACPI support
enabled depending on which the hardware supports. I have never used Slack so
I don't know what the defaults are and I have never used an Optiplex 745 so
I don't know what it supports.

A quick search reveals that this is maybe a linux bug and that it's more
apparent on your hardware especially.
http://www.mail-archive.com/unattended-info@lists.sourceforge.net/msg08001.h
tml