On Sunday 20 April 2008 09:01:54 am Donovan wrote:
> I've been considering a failover setup using to WAN connections and have
> been investigating some options.  I found some very interesting appliances
> made by Xroads Networks that essentially takes over as the authoritative
> DNS server and updates the DNS records for your domain on the fly as a WAN
> connection goes up or down.  The appliances aren't out of line expensive
> but it seems like this could be done fairly easily with a Linux solution as
> well.
>
> Here's a better description of how the process works:
> http://www.xroadsnetworks.com/ubm/technology/activedns.xrn
>
> Didn't find much in my initial Google attempts but now "bindmon" seems like
> it basically does this.  Is anybody using this or other technique for DNS
> failover?

The authoritative way to do this is via multicast DNS, whether that's viable
for you or not depends on the WAN links.

Changing your DNS records on the fly works until you run in to pesky caching
DNS servers.  You can crank down your TTLs in an attempt to compensate, but
then you have to be able to deal with the increased load from that.

If you are shooting for failover of a pair of residential broadband
connections then you'll probably eventually reach the conclusion I did a long
time ago.  It's just not worth the time, effort, and hackery that it takes to
deal with the limitations residential home connections impose.  If you really
need a service to be available it's probably better off in a datacenter.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB