Florin wrote:

> What you need to do is boot from the rescue CD, mount the boot
> partition, edit the menu.lst to replace hda3 with hda4 . Save and
> reboot.

Very close.

In /boot/grub/menu.lst , in the section:
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
I changed
# kopt=root=/dev/hda3 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/hda5 ro
and saved the file.
Then I ran
>update-grub

This results in menu entries like:

title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-29-386
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.15-29-386 root=/dev/hda5 ro quiet splash
initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.15-29-386
savedefault
boot

And now it boots...

Notes:

The commented out "defaults" in menu.lst allow update-grub to know the
pattern of the menu entries.  The latter have to change periodically -
e.g.  when a new kernel version becomes available.

Note the the line:
root   (hd0,0)
sets GRUB's root not the operating system's root.
The later is specified in the "root=" part of the
kernel line.  Note that the path to the files passed to kernel and initrd
are relative to Grub's root set by the root command.

Thanks to Florin and others for their assistance with my problem.
I learned a lot and finally got it fixed.

Fred

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org