Fred,

What you need to do is boot from the rescue CD, mount the boot
partition, edit the menu.lst to replace hda3 with hda4 . Save and
reboot.

Cheers,
florin

Original, long, explanation, follows ...

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 12:32:30PM -0700, Fred H Olson wrote:
> Florin, thanks so much for the advice. I'm sure you'd have this fixed in a
> flash if you were at my keyboard but I suppose it's a learning experience
> for me to muddle thru it.

Don't ask me how I got my learning experience... 8^)

> I did "find" my root (hda1), home (hda4) and boot (hda5) partitions from
> the live cd version of Ubuntu 7.04.    fsck found no errors on nay of
> these partitions.
>
> The message below got rather long so I'll ask what I think is the ekey
> next question here up front:
>
> My /boot is a separate partition so how do I  modify
> your example "kernel" and "initrd" command strings  as a result?

The indices are 0-based, both for disks and partitions, so root (hd0, 4)
is correct.  Then, as you see in your own GRUB file, you remove the
"boot/" from the paths, since your files are in the root directory on
the boot partition.

> Here goes the long response...
>
> In your most recent message you wrote:
>
> > It would be useful to boot with a recent rescue disk, then look in the
> > /boot directory/partition to see what kernels and ramdisks are present
> > (and print the list of files).  Then, copy (and preferably print)
> > the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
>
> See copies appended below.
>
> > Reboot the computer and type 'c' at the GRUB prompt.
> > This will drop you in a command shell.
> (It's <esc> c now)
>
> > From there, you need to tell grub where to
> > find the kernel (and all the information is in menu.lst).
>
> > For instance, to manually boot my server, I would type the following:
>
> >   root (hd0,0)
> >   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-686 root=/dev/sda1 ro console=tty0
> >   initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-1-686
> >   boot
> >
> > This assumes that my root disk is the first partition of the first
> > disk and /boot is a directory on the root partition.
> >
> > If any of the 'kernel' or 'initrd' commands fails, this means
> > grub cannot find a requisite file.  Then try again, using an older
> > kernel/initrd (if you upgraded, you should have some older versions
> > lying around).
>
> I got to the command shell from grub and
> root (hd0,4)
> got the response:
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83

Good.

> My /boot is a separate partition so I am unsure how to modify
> your example "kernel" and "initrd" command strings.
>

> I wanted to "look around" at various partitions to see if they looked as
> expected but the Grub shell does not have an "ls" command !  (I tried
> find /boot/*
>  and
> find /*
> but just got an error message tho it tries to access the floppy drive!
>
> I note that in menu.1st all the entries in the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> have root (hd0,0) which would seem like it would explain the problem
> reboot. In the next line what does root=/dev/hda3 refer to?

'root=/dev/foo' tells the kernel what to mount as root file system.

It seems that you and grub have a disagreement on which file system to
use 8^)

> According to:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#kernel
> "The rest of the line is passed verbatim as the kernel command-line"
> but I have not found an explanation of of the "kernel command-line"

That is specific to every operating system.  For the explanation of
the linux command line look in the linux kernel sources, in the
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt file.

> Also it occurs to me that a bit more background might give a clue to how
> this situation developed.
>
> When I installed Ubuntu 6.06 on this computer at an installfest.
> we only allowed about 2.5 GB for the root partition. For a year I got
> along with this but it was tight.  At the installfest in August (2007)
> I got help getting a larger root partition. We had to moove all files
> to an external harddisk, make a new larger partition (with a different
> partition number) and move the files back.  After a bit of tweaking
> it ran fine till I did the upgrades.  I suspect there was something that
> did not get updated to account for the new partition layout...

Aha!  Whomever helped you do this, manually patched the _USED_
entries in grub, but not the _COMMENTED OUT_ entry for kopt, which
the grub updater uses.  On the next update, you got a new kernel,
and the kernel package installer script ran the grub updater, which
regenerated the file.  Editing the menu.lst should get you going.

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163