Not quite true.  True that Sprint doesn't support it through phones.
However, that same broadband modem data rate as the extra cost ($40/mo last
I checked) is available, just not supported or discussed or "allowed" by
Sprint.  The 3G Vision service that gives web access has always had a
loophole that permits modem use as if the modem is doing Vision web access
and the minutes are not charged or recorded (ie, free 24/7) with the Vision
option for the phone.  Mine is a bit tricky to set up, but works fine.  I
got a card that has both voice and data through a PCMCIA slot but Sprint
would only allow the voice at a minumum of $0.40/min even though I was
already a long-term subscriber, and that made the extra $40/mo for what
comes with a phone contract truly silly and quite annoying.  This has been
discussed here before.  Several here have used this modem connection.
Sprint threatens that they may back-charge someday as discouragement.

I think Nate was the first to alert us to this 3G service maybe 6 years ago,
but I think he switched carriers long ago.  I had been using the old cheap
1G 14.4KB before that when traveling and before wifi hotspots were
commonplace, so my changeover and upgrade was almost free.  There may be
better (faster, not cheaper) services today, but for my occasional data
needs, good phone service when travelling, and because I get a corporate
discount, Sprint suits me fine.  Besides, my old Samsung I-330 3G smartphone
only cost $15 on ebay, so every aspect of Sprint is very economical for me
and "it ain't broke".

Chuck