On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 04:47:04PM -0500, Steven Huntsman wrote:
> Now the problem::  Yesterday when I booted this Linux machine, a window
> came upwhich stated
> "Ununtu is running in low-graphics mode.  Your screen and graphics card
> could not be detected
> correctly.  To use higher resolution, visual effects or multiple screens,
> you have to configure the display yourself" A little radio button with
> statement "Always run in low-graphics mode"
> Three large radio buttons 1. "Configure" 2. "Shut down" 3. "Continue"
>
> Button 1 wants to know what graphics card
> Button 2 restarts the machine (does not shut down)
> Button 3 starts the machine in 800 x 600 resolution (which I don't like -
> web pages overflow the screen and no position sliders appear.
>
> The machine has worked at 107? x 780 resolution for approximatly the last
> two years without any intervention on my part.
>
> How do I get higher resolution back??
> How do I test my video card (if there is one)?
> Where is a store/repair shop that knows Linux machines?

Steven,

What video card do you have in your PC?  If it is Intel, then you need
to select the "i810" driver not the "intel" driver, as the latter is
newer and has more features and bugs.  If you cannot do that from the
menus, press "Ctrl-Alt-F1" to go to text mode, login as root (or login
and sudo to root) and edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the line
which says

   Driver "intel"

   Driver "i810"

Also change the "Screen" section to have only one mode in the
"Display" subsection: 1024x768.  Then save and "Ctrl-Alt-Del" to reboot.

Let us know how/if it works.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163