Opera on my Linux machine wouldn't send this in the forenoon.
So I'm sending it on MS Windows machine at 4:45 pm after waiting hours on
the other machine.
Will call Quest to ask about my so-called 'broadband' connection;
but folloqing to get started with trouble shooting.

Last weekend I updated to Ubuntu7.10 along with new versions of Firefox
and Opera (I like Opera when it works but that's not the immediate
problem).
Formerly (before updates) Firefox worked OK but Opera took so long to
download anything it was basically unusable (that's why was using
Firefox).  Also I operated my 19 inch Gateway monitor at 107? x 78?
resolution (sorry I can't remember exact number).

Immediately after updates the Firefox became so slow (or time to connect
to provider) it is unusable; however now Opera works great for both
browsing and email (however my provider doesn't support/provide for Opera
browser so I can't view email in browser at provider web site; other web
sites work OK) [I have to use 'Windows' box to view email on web
page--that's a spam control tactic].

Now the problem::  Yesterday when I booted this Linux machine, a window
came upwhich stated
"Ununtu is running in low-graphics mode.  Your screen and graphics card
could not be detected
correctly.  To use higher resolution, visual effects or multiple screens,
you have to configure the display yourself" A little radio button with
statement "Always run in low-graphics mode"
Three large radio buttons 1. "Configure" 2. "Shut down" 3. "Continue"

Button 1 wants to know what graphics card
Button 2 restarts the machine (does not shut down)
Button 3 starts the machine in 800 x 600 resolution (which I don't like -
web pages overflow the screen and no position sliders appear.

The machine has worked at 107? x 780 resolution for approximatly the last
two years without any intervention on my part.

How do I get higher resolution back??
How do I test my video card (if there is one)?
Where is a store/repair shop that knows Linux machines?

Incidently upon going to Gateway web site (monitor is Gateway EV910) they
were bought by Acer last week and the first web page comes up however the
download site doesn't respond today.

Thanks for you time,
Steve