On 10/19/07, Dave Sherman <thurianknight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, just wondering if anyone is using a Linux-based NAS solution
> such as OpenFiler (http://www.openfiler.com/). We're looking for
> something that would integrate into Active Directory.

I setup a server with openfiler (used one of those dell 2450s that I
recently posted in the classifieds) not too long ago.  Was able to point it
to the AD server at the office - seemed to work - got a list of users and
groups and all that.

Took me a day to setup and configure.  Can't say it's being used as I handed
the reins over to the powers that be, but it has not been put into
"production" yet - it's just sitting there consuming power.   Original
intent was to serve up home directories and the like.

I did a few tests - setup a share, assigned group/user access - worked as
expected.  All in all, I'd say it's worth burning a day to play with it -see
if it meets your needs.

john

P.S.  Was able to install the linux version of Backupexec client on the
server and do a simple backup ...