On 10/11/07, Danny <bunjee at charter.net> wrote:

> Why is it so damned hard to connect to the internet using Linux? That's one
> of the biggest beefs I have about the OS. I've currently got Sabayon 3.3and
> can't connect. I tried to burn an ISO of 3.4f with burn cdcc & could not do
> it. If anyone has the courage to call me on the phone, I would really
> appreciate it. I want to use Linux but the problem of Internet connection
> always has me saying screw it!!

Whoa - slow down there.  First...please turn off the html email
formatting.  Done?  Okay now we'll continue.

I know nothing about Sabayon specifically, but plenty about linux in
general.  You'll need to answer a few questions to help us diagnose
what's going on.

1. What type of internet connection do you have?  Cable?  DSL? Dialup?

2. Do you have any type of router and/or modem between your PC and
your internet connection?  If so:

3. What's the IP address of your router?  I'll assume you have your
Sabayon  machine set to get an IP address via DHCP.  What IP address
is it getting?  Run an "ifconfig" command from the command line and
it'll tell you.

4. Send the output of these two commands:
a) cat /etc/resolv.conf
b) route (this usually has to be run as root)

Let's start there and see how things go.

-erik