On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 01:14:10AM -0500, Dean.Benjamin at mm.com wrote:
> At 12:01 AM 10/8/2007, Florin Iucha wrote:
> >Lately, the printer slowed down drastically, the new rhythm is one
> >page every 15-20 minutes!  These are PDFs, with some small graphics,
> >nothing out of the ordinary.
>

> I have worked with the HP LaserJet 5 series for years.  These
> printers choke on large graphics, exhibiting precisely the symptoms
> you report.  My hunch is that embedded in your PDFs are huge megabyte
> images, shrunk down so that they look small on the page (ie, a 24-bit
> color 2000x2000 TIFF that appears only as big as a postage stamp),  A
> LaserJet 5 will take tens of minutes to print such pages.
>
> If my hunch is right:
>
> ** The PDF you are attempting to print is really big -- several
> megabytes per page.

No, it is 1.7 MB for 22 pages.  It printed the first 9 pages in 3
hours when connected to Debian server.  It printed the last 13 at
"small initial processing" + 13 x "full page speed" ~ 2-3 minutes
when connected to the Windows laptop.

> ** Your printer works at normal speeds on "normal" PDFs and simple
> B&W text pages.

Nope.  It crawls even for the "cups test page", which is normally
quite fast.

> Another explanation for big PDFs: Some applications produce PDFs in a
> fax-like process, by first rasterizing each page, then PDF-ifying the
> whole-page image to produce the PDF page.  Such PDF files can be
> immense, even if the document appears to have no graphics whatever.

This is indeed one of those PDFs, because it is an article from a
journal published before common era, in 1955.

Thanks,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163