Hello,

More than a year ago I purchased a used HP Laserjet 5MP with a low
page count (15k).  I connected it to my Debian server, configured it
in Cups and all was well.  It wasn't a speed daemon, but it printed
a page every other minute if it wasn't too loaded.  I have upgraded
the memory to the max (24MB) and that speed it up a bit.

Lately, the printer slowed down drastically, the new rhythm is one
page every 15-20 minutes!  These are PDFs, with some small graphics,
nothing out of the ordinary.

I moved the printer from my Debian server to my Ubuntu workstation.  I
then moved it to a Windows laptop.  It is all the same.

When I spool something, it starts blinking the data port and it just
sits there.  Maybe when the moons align just so, it spits out a page.

Has anybody seen this problem?  Does anybody know how to fix it?
Should I just take it to the curb and let the trash truck run it over?

Thanks,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163