>I just had the  misfortune of having my hard drive crash on me ... it
>seems like a  mechanical failure ... horrible clicking noises ...

Have you tried smacking it?

Some of the older drives would stick, and could be brought back to life with
physical agitation.  I should mention that it could very easily cause more
damage than you already have, so only try it when you have nothing else to
lose.  i.e. Just before you trash it.

The same technique sometimes works for PC fans, CDroms, air conditioners, and
other mechanical devices.  Or at least it can make you feel better.

Jeremy

:)