On Tuesday 27 November 2007 06:55:46 pm Florin Iucha wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:27:48PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> > Do DVD burners always work, or are there some to avoid?
>
> They always work.  LG had some problems in the past, but now whatever
> you get it it will work fine.
>
> > What's a good video card for a Linux system? (no gaming, just ordinary
> > scientific computing, possibly two monitors, DVI)
>
> Any NVIDIA should do decent 2D, with the free driver.  A free driver
> for ATI 2xxx series is in the works, but will be a year before it
> shows up in a stable distribution.
>
> > The other concerns would be sound card and NIC -- usually both built into
> > the mobo these days.  We wouldn't use the modem.
>
> They will work fine as well.   If the network does not work, return
> the board ;)
>
> Without a budget it's hard to give sound advice, but I'll venture
> some.  For the middle of the road configuration, I would get a
> board with the Intel P35 chipset and built-in Intel HD audio +
> Gigabit LAN, then stick as much RAM and CPU into it as you can.
> Depending on what you plan to do, the Intel Q6600 is really cheap
> ($270).
>
> Cheers,
> florin

Just as a heads up....intel has released another round of gig-E NICs recently
(eg last 2-3 months) that require a new version of their driver.....Unless
you're willing to run a fairly recent kernel they don't work out of the box.

In particular I've gotten Intel DP35DPM motherboards and DG33BUC motherboards
with NICs that don't work with 2.6.18 and 2.6.19 kernels, which appear to be
pretty common in a lot of the popular distributions.  I believe the latest
e1000 driver is available in 2.6.22 and on which seems to work with
everything I've run across.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB