On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 05:27:48PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> Do DVD burners always work, or are there some to avoid?

They always work.  LG had some problems in the past, but now whatever
you get it it will work fine.

> What's a good video card for a Linux system? (no gaming, just ordinary
> scientific computing, possibly two monitors, DVI)

Any NVIDIA should do decent 2D, with the free driver.  A free driver
for ATI 2xxx series is in the works, but will be a year before it
shows up in a stable distribution.

> The other concerns would be sound card and NIC -- usually both built into
> the mobo these days.  We wouldn't use the modem.

They will work fine as well.   If the network does not work, return
the board ;)

Without a budget it's hard to give sound advice, but I'll venture
some.  For the middle of the road configuration, I would get a
board with the Intel P35 chipset and built-in Intel HD audio +
Gigabit LAN, then stick as much RAM and CPU into it as you can.
Depending on what you plan to do, the Intel Q6600 is really cheap
($270).

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163