On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Robert De Mars wrote:

> Forgive me if this is off topic, but I was curious about php editors.
> I have just recently started coding PHP, and I have not found an editor
> I like yet.  I started simply using VIM (elvis), and have played with
> KDE's Quanta (but this seems to crash often for me).  I was curious what
> other php programmers like to use.

This is an interesting issue.  I like to use Emacs, and when I get into
coding something like RoR or C or HTML, I'll make sure I have the proper
Emacs mode for that language and any other neat add-ons that might be out
there.  This has worked well enough for me.  Here's info on PHP on emacs:

http://www.google.com/search?q=emacs+php

But I have a colleague who is a professional coder and his approach is to
go to an entirely different package for different kinds of files.  He'll
use Textmate (Mac only) for RoR and he'll use NetBeans for Java, etc.  I
want to use Linux, and I don't have a Mac, but he will keep the code on a
Linux machine and edit it remotely using subversion to checkout some code,
edit it locally and commit changes back to the remote subversion Db.
That's an interesting approach, and I guess it works well as long as both
machines and the network are all up.

When I told him that I thought it might be better just to use Emacs, which
is super portable and has modes for everything, he thought maybe I was
right.  But then again, I don't do all that much coding myself (not
compared to pros) so it doesn't matter that much what I do, but I do hire
people and I usually encourage them to use emacs with appropriate modes.

Mike