Does anyone notice weird visual artifacts in X with recent distros?  I see it
in both Centos and Ubuntu.  For instance, when I alt-tab in KDE, the list of
windows doesn't appear, or when firefox refreshes the screen, there is a
noticeable delay and diagonal streaks of color like a messed up pix buffer
for a flash of a moment.

In centos, it got particularly bad, where I could only redraw firefox windows
by resizing them, otherwise the content remained when I switched tabs.  It
might happen in other apps, but I really only use firefox and Konsole on that
machine.

On Ubuntu, the screen saver will also sometimes not blank out the screen, so I
will see a stale 'screenshot' of the desktop, when in actuality, there is a
dialog asking for my password.

In short, it seems that some kind of video buffer, somewhere in the system, is
acting goofy.  Restarting X seems to help, but I only do that a few times per
year if I can help it.

I'm suspecting this has something to do with the new 3d desktops.  On both
machines, I had compiz and/or beryl installed in the past, though I removed
(or tried to remove) both.  I had never seen these artifacts in years past,
but now it happens on two different machines, each with a different Distro.

Anyone else see this?

Jeremy