On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Elvedin Trnjanin wrote:

> Eric Peterson wrote:
>> I found this on the Linux Journal website.
>>
>> http://freebooks.homelinux.org/
>
> What is the legality of these downloads? I couldn't find any note on the
> web site and I can't imagine the O'Reilly
> <download.php?OReilly%20-%20Linux%20Security%20Cookbook.rar> books being
> available for free.

The web site is hosted in Denmark.  I don't know their laws, but I don't
think the Scandinavian countries are allowing web servers to violate
copyright (it's different with something like Pirate Bay in Sweden because
they are not hosting the files, just helping you to find someone who is on
P2P BitTorrent).  So they might be on the level.  Either that or they will
soon vanish.

Regarding BitTorrent -- they recently had a massive collection of "more
than 1100 computer books" available (e.g., via thepiratebay.org).  It was
a mix of freely-available and copyrighted materials in PDF or CHM format
(the latter looks like windows help file format).  About 13 GB, I think.

Mike