On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Chris Schumann wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 23:14:47 -0600
>> From: "Chuck Cole" <cncole at earthlink.net>
>
>> Really great "big pipe" internet wired and WiFi connections, since that's
>> what TIES is all about.  TIES provides internet and other online support for
>> MN schools and teachers.   Large and multiple meeting spaces,
>> well-equipped - probably since they do some training for teachers also.
>
> I hope it's not just me, but I've never seen TCLUG as a student group.
> And by that reasoning, TIES mission would not align with this group.

  Last I checked, TCLUG is not a student group.  We're also not a
"professional organization."  Strictly speaking, we're not defined as
anything but a group of people who get together to talk about Linux.  I
prefer that to a model where we cater to one section of the community, but
ignore the rest.  We have professionals (however you want to define
that...people who use Linux in their work?), students (and other assorted
academics), and tinkerers.  (And probably some other demographics that
aren't coming to mind.)  I'm happy that all these people with different
skills and needs can work together, and wouldn't trade it for corporate
backing, sponsorship, or whatever.  It's a community, plain and simple.

  Of course, it's probably worth disclaiming that we do have corporate
sponsorship on a minor scale with Real Time Enterprises hosting the list,
web site, et al.  Alas, they don't require us to ostracize anyone in
exchange, and they've been (IMO) nothing but benevolent, so no one tends
to complain.

  Anyway.  Back to preparing for the Fedora 8 release.

      Jima