The U has made itself undesirable as a meeting spot to 20+ national
professional associations.  This is history and current practice as well as
the logistics.  Not merely my opinion, though I've seen UMN cancel TCLUG
events and meeting spaces, and seen problems with other groups, so my
opinion is shaped by specific history also.

> And that is very near to the UMN St. Paul campus.

The U is utterly irrelevant, usually by its choice.

> So why is it so great to meet out there near Roseville?  It would help
> your case a lot if you could explain yourself.

History is not easily explained, nor do I feel duty-bound or capable of
explaining it adequately.  Best to just observe and draw your own
conclusions.

> building at the U because I've never been to TIES and you haven't told me
> what is better about it.  I don't care if "various professional
> associations in town" hold meetings there -- how does that help TCLUG?

I didn't say other professional associations meet at TIES specifically.
Don't know.  However, there are other Linux activities there.

What you prefer (as a newcomer to this 20-30 year history) is idealistic,
but not observant.  I am not presenting "just my own" personal preferences.
I do think TCLUG would benefit from being an actual defined association so
it could qualify for recognition here and there, but that seems to be much
too hard a concept.

How does it help TCLUG?  Technically, TCLUG doesn't actually exist by any
official criterion, so it's beyond help  :-)

It's likely that UMN has requirements of definition and recogniion for
groups wishing to meet and use facilities, and that may be reason for UMN to
limit support also (eg, for liability reasons).

No point in further debate of this now.  Maybe over beer and pizza someday
:-)

Chuck