On 11/4/07, Anna Edwards <anna2edw at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just set up a ubuntu 7.10 server (to do the wrong task) and i don't know
> how to make it work without me having a screen on it 24-7 (i only have one
> monitor and 2 computers needing one).  Can someone help me fix this?
> Linux User in distress: Anna Edwards

So you want to run this server headless, correct?  What happens when
you start it up without a monitor?  Usually systems could care less if
they have a monitor connected.  In fact, I don't believe I've *ever*
seen a system not come up correctly due to a missing/broken monitor.
Missing keyboard?  Sure - some non-server class BIOSes check for a
keyboard during POST and if absent, will refuse to continue the boot
process.  This can usually be disable, though.  I'm just grasping at
straws, though.

In order to correctly diagnose your problem, we'll need more info.
What's your desired task for this server?  What happens when the
monitor is not connected?

-Erik