On 5/16/07, Florin Iucha <florin at iucha.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 12:47:50PM -0500, Steve Linabery wrote:
> > I use linux (planetccrma on fc5) for digital audio recording and WinXP for playing WoW.
> >
> > My linux machine died recently. I would like to install fc5 on my WinXP machine.
> >
> > I want to add a new hard drive in the WinXP machine and install linux on that disk.
> >
> > Is this type of installation as simple as booting from the fc5 installation CD, or do I need to do something fancy? The last time I tried to install linux on my WinXP box, I made my WinXP OS unbootable.
>
> If that last time was more than 2-3 years ago, then don't worry about
> it.

But booting from a LiveCD and backing up your partition table and
master boot record would be prudent insurance:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/wherever/you/want/it count=1 bs=512

Then:
scp /wherever/you/want/it you at otherbox.com:/path/to/destination
would get it off of the box

(That's from memory... you should double check the syntax.)

Thomas