On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 12:47:50PM -0500, Steve Linabery wrote:
> I use linux (planetccrma on fc5) for digital audio recording and WinXP for playing WoW.
>
> My linux machine died recently. I would like to install fc5 on my WinXP machine.
>
> I want to add a new hard drive in the WinXP machine and install linux on that disk.
>
> Is this type of installation as simple as booting from the fc5 installation CD, or do I need to do something fancy? The last time I tried to install linux on my WinXP box, I made my WinXP OS unbootable.

If that last time was more than 2-3 years ago, then don't worry about
it.

Assuming you got the hardware right (no ide cable mounted backwards,
no master/slave/cable select confusion), a modern Linux distro should
recognize and automatically add a menu entry in grub for the
pre-existing windows partition.

Cheers,
florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
      http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163