Chuck Cole wrote:

> [...]

Well, if you take your laptop over to the West Bank neighborhood you can
access their pilot network using a normal wifi card. I think there's
talk about secured protocols etc down the line, but the wireless modems
are supposed to just help get the signal into buildings. At least that's
what I heard in all the information sessions.

>> The wireless is very exciting and hopefully more of the metro
>> area will participate making a huge connected network.
>
> Does this mean anything more than having more people pay for
> higher-priced, proprietary modems in order to have their home connected
> to the internet?  I doubt that there's any bandwidth ceiling advantage
> over fiber-to-the-home

It's not competing with fiber, it's competing with the cable/dsl duopoly.

>> Couple that with mobile VPNs
>> and I think it will make a pretty sweet network.
>
> Are you sure that mobile VPNs will be supported by municipal wireless
> ISPs in the near term?  I'd expect municipal service contracts to differ
> from neighboring cities, and that may be a cause for a big delay
> (decades?) in having mobile options for that new service.  Cell carrier
> services (plue 911 type service carriers) are already capable of
> supporting municipal needs, so the justification to scrap equipment and
> change to a new scheme may be hard to achieve.
>
> Does a universal municipal wireless system make any sense for bandwidth
> utilization or municipal economy?  Would such a system be rated to
> operate during emergencies and handle overloads like homecoming weekends
> or a big convention around neighborhood schools or whatever?  True
> emergency systems must be rated to be operational during major storms
> and tornadoes.  An entertainment-mostly wireless system won't be that
> robust or it would be very expensive.

The first-responder network is supposed to run on a different set of
channels. I don't know what they're doing to ensure it stays up under
load, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the VPN issue.

Personally I think the municipal-owned option should have been
investigated further, but I'm eager to see how this turns out. And
planning to subscribe when it gets to my neighborhood.

-Steve