Isn't municipal wireless using a secured protocol and/or spectrum
trick(s) that require the subscriber to have special "demod gear" to get
to an ethernet or 802.11g/b connection for any user(s)??  The subscriber
still must connect to their "modem" and do wired or wireless in the
home.

> The wireless is very exciting and hopefully more of the metro
> area will participate making a huge connected network.

Does this mean anything more than having more people pay for
higher-priced, proprietary modems in order to have their home connected
to the internet?  I doubt that there's any bandwidth ceiling advantage
over fiber-to-the-home

> Couple that with mobile VPNs
> and I think it will make a pretty sweet network.

Are you sure that mobile VPNs will be supported by municipal wireless
ISPs in the near term?  I'd expect municipal service contracts to differ
from neighboring cities, and that may be a cause for a big delay
(decades?) in having mobile options for that new service.  Cell carrier
services (plue 911 type service carriers) are already capable of
supporting municipal needs, so the justification to scrap equipment and
change to a new scheme may be hard to achieve.

Does a universal municipal wireless system make any sense for bandwidth
utilization or municipal economy?  Would such a system be rated to
operate during emergencies and handle overloads like homecoming weekends
or a big convention around neighborhood schools or whatever?  True
emergency systems must be rated to be operational during major storms
and tornadoes.  An entertainment-mostly wireless system won't be that
robust or it would be very expensive.

Chuck