Perhaps a clue:

I have a friend in the Comcast area who reports that Comcast made her
replace a 54G Linksys WiFi router with a Belkin one in order to get
things to run.  She has since given away the Linksys router so I can't
check except by taking mine over there sometime.  Makes no sense to me,
and I would have scalped Comcast before changing brands so their tech
support knew what to do.  I just got her Belkin going again by telephone
help and the menus it has are quite different from my Linksys.

You should escalate until you reach intelligent life forms - if any
exist there.. ask for their attorney's contact info if that fails.  It's
probably something about the router's DHCP setup or funny business with
static IP.  Her Belkin router has an IP sequence that defaulted to
192.168.2.1 while all mine default to 192.168.1.1.  Perhaps the cable
side can alter the cable modem defaults: I regularly have Level 1 cable
folk tell me they set all my cable modem stuff and try to tell me I
can't see my cable modem status screen (192.168.100.1 on both Linksys
and Motorola cable modems) to read what clearly appears "by the book"
after modem lock (I'd like to get signal level before/without lock, but
cannot without lock and they are no help at all for that issue).

Chuck