On Thursday 22 March 2007 16:03, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, admin at lctn.org wrote:
> > I have a pretty busy Centos server running httpd-2.0.52-22.ent.centos4.
> > Httpd is running between 50-98%. How can I diagnose what is causing it
> > use so much of the CPU?
>
> Do you have an apache process spinning out of control? IE, if you
> stop/restart Apache, does it still use that much CPU?

I have seen this behaviour recently on a RH box as well. I tracked it down to
an IP address in some other country (can't recall which off hand) opening
tons of connections to a site on the server. Once I blocked that IP address
in iptables it was fine after that.

So just a thought you might check your current port 80 connections with
something like

netstat -an | grep ":80 "

or if you want to get a tally per remote IP connected somehting like this

netstat -an | grep ":80 " | awk '{ print $5 }' | sort | uniq -c