I have it so at least php is being utilized, but am getting some errors
specific to php.

To get php to connect to the wre install of apache I added the following
to my webgui domain config:

LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/libphp4.so
<IfModule mod_php4.c>
 AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
#  AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
</IfModule>

Now I get php pages to display properly, but am getting the following
errors when attempting to set gallery up.

Warning: preg_match: internal pcre_fullinfo() error -3 in
/data/gallery2/install/steps/AuthenticateStep.class on line 58

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already
sent by (output started at
/data/gallery2/install/steps/AuthenticateStep.class:58) in
/data/gallery2/install/index.php on line 404

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers
already sent (output started at
/data/gallery2/install/steps/AuthenticateStep.class:58) in
/data/gallery2/install/index.php on line 404

I googled around a bit, and it seemed I needed to statically set the
session.saved path, but I am still getting the error.

I will ask about this on a php group, unless someone knows a quick answer
to this here.

believed to be clean.